Your Brother printer could appear offline if it is unable to communicate with the computer. It can be really annoying to see your printer offline when you try to print something urgently. If you find that the status of your Brother printer is offline or paused, you can follow the troubleshooting steps discussed below to bring it online
Ensure That the Printer is Connected to the PC
- If you are using a USB cable to connect the printer to the computer, ensure that the cable is connected to both the computer and the printer. You may also try to connect the printer directly to the computer and not through a hub.
- If you are using an Ethernet cable to connect the printer, you need to make sure that the cable is connected to the router/access point and the printer. If you need the IP address of the printer, you can print the network configuration page.
- Use the network configuration page to verify the IP address if you are making use of a wireless connection. If the issue persists, you can move on to the next troubleshooting steps.
Ensure That the Printer is Set as the Default One
To ensure that your Brother printer is set as the default printer, you need to go the Printers folder and ensure that there is a check mark on the icon of the Brother printer. The steps to do this are explained below.
In Windows 8 and Newer Versions
- Press Windows and R keys together to open Run Type in Control in the Run window and hit the Enter key to open Control Panel.
- Click on Hardware and Sound and select Devices and Printers.
- Ensure that the icon of the Brother printer is checked.
In Windows 7
- Click on Start and select Devices and Printers.
- If there is no check mark on your Brother printer, you need to right click on the icon of the printer and choose Set as default printer from the available options.
Remove All Print Jobs from Devices and Printers Window
- Right click on the icon of the Brother printer, select See what’s printing, and then choose Cancel All Documents.
- If you find that Cancel All Documents is grayed out, you need to select Open as Administrator. Type in the administrator password and click on Yes.
- Now you will be able to select Cancel All Documents.
Check the Status of the Printer in Devices and Printer
If the Status is Offline
You need to check if the status of the printer is offline. If it is offline, follow the steps explained below.
- Right click on the icon of your Brother printer and choose See what’s printing, Printer, Use Printer Offline.
- If you find that the Use Printer Offline option is grayed out, you need to select Open as Administrator and then type in the administrator password and select Yes.
If the Status is Paused
Check if the status of the printer is Paused. If it is shown as Paused, follow the steps explained below.
- Right click on the icon of your Brother printer, choose See what’s printing, and then select Pause Printing.
- If you find that the Pause option is grayed out, you need to select Open as Administrator and then type in the administrator password and select Yes.